Friday, July 24, 2009

Time is flying by

The summer is 1/2 over and I feel like time is flying by. Before I know it the kids will be back in school and hopefully by (or before) then I will be able to pull my head out of my butt and get organized. I admit that coming home has been a huge adjustment. In Vietnam we were basically tourists getting to know Meg and her birth country. We had house cleaning service in our hotel suite and we had someone making all our meals.

Well, it ain't like that anymore. We came home to 2 more beautiful children that require and need much of our affection and time too. They missed us terribly and we are still making up for being gone from them such a long time. Keaton and Chloe are so good with Meg and the biggest thing is reminding them that she is not a little doll to carry around the house. They are very helpful and are always running upstairs to get me a blanket or downstairs to fetch her soother, etc... no complaints - this is what they've been waiting for. I won't pretend though that things are perfect and stress-free around here. The first week was very hard getting our clocks turned around, even though Keaton and Chloe still had soccer games, birthday parties and social things to run to. I still sometimes get this overwhelming tired feeling in the pit of my stomach at around 2pm each day. Thankfully it goes away and I can now make it til around 930pm before I fall into bed.

Keaton and Chloe have been going to bible camp all week and they are loving it. They catch the bus and head to Prince Edward County to a day camp there. Keaton loves the water time and archery and his counsellors. Chloe loves the canoeing, songs and crafts. I love that they are happy and keeping busy. I am sure next week, when they are back home and bored with me and Meg... there will be lots of complaining and me trying to find things to keep them occupied. The weather has been quite chilly and so we have not been in our pool as much as usual - this sucks because that was always something they could do to pass the time and remain active. Hoping that this coming week gets warmer! Meg hasn't been in our pool yet - it is so cold and we haven't turned the heater on b/c it is so chilly at night that it would be a waste of $ right now.

Re: my camera - I've been awful. I think I have taken 5 photos since we got home from Vietnam. I just think I'm tired and burnt out and trying to prioritize all the things that need to be done around here. Our house is a disaster and needs to start receiving some TLC. The entire bottom floor needs to be painted, including the white trim - and this is not a job I plan to undertake - so we need to save up to hire a painter. The gardens in our pool area and front lawn are completely neglected and look wild! I just don't have a green thumb at all. Truth be told, if some money dropped in our laps right now (which it will not) we would probably clean the house up... put up a for sale sign and build a new home in a country subdivision that is bigger than the space we have now. Sadly, if and when we do this we would lose the inground pool and hot tub... the budget just doesn't allow a big new house and those perks too. Shaune says we are going to hire a house cleaner but truthfully we need to get this place organized and tidy first so she can find the furniture and floor (HA!)

Meg is doing so good. I am going to take her to a weigh-in clinic next week to see how much she has grown. We got her Health card no problem and all but her doctor is on holidays til August 17th so she still has not had a check up and blood work, etc... GRR. She seems good though and is adjusting so well. She naps 3x a day usually at 9/12/3 and goes down for the night at around 8pm now...sometimes this varies but it is working good. She wakes one time at around 2a.m. for a big bottle and then goes right back to sleep til around 7a.m. - so, I am getting plenty of sleep and starting to feel 'normal' again. This old lady needs her sleep more than she did when K & C were babies!

Meg is up to eating every 3-4 hours during the day and takes 6-7oz now with each bottle. She is on Good Start and likes it. She used to eat 2oz every 2 hrs so this is a huge improvement and you can really see how much she is sprouting up and growing. Her cheeks and neck roll is expanding and yesterday I saw a hint of what could become arm rolls!!! I am excited to see her doing so great with her growth. She still is very tiny especially now that we are home and babies in the 7 month category here seem to be over 20 lbs at times!!! She is beautiful and bright and happy and we love her so much. I promise I will get some photos of her very soon. Maybe this weekend I can get my act together!

That's all for now. Just taking advantage of Meg's first nap of the day! Must go shower quick!

6 comments:

Tara said...

OH Leslie...I don't even know how you are handling it! I only had one other at home and brought home a tween (2 months ago) and I have JUST started to feel like I am getting my 'new' balance.... I can COMPLETELY relate to all your struggles! Just keep plugging along - it comes, it really does. Would LOVE to chat to hear so much more about your trip/Meg/K&C, etc....but know you are so busy. Let me know when would be a good time....

Keep up 'what you can' - the rest can wait!!!

Tonya said...

Welcome Home!! Your family is so beautiful!!

Samantha said...

Hang in there!
For me it got better after 12 days, then a little lull at 3 months, after that it is amazing and better every day!

Julie and Dean said...

So glad to hear Meg is doing well.
You're entire family must be over joyed. Can't wait to see pictures of Meg with her new brother and sister comfortable in her new home :)

Jules and Danny said...

It sounds like things are a bit crazy, but starting to settle... and Keaton and Chloe are loving having you home again!
I'm glad you are home and starting the next phase of adjusting... one big family.
jules

angie said...

oh leslie, i so know this feeling. it is only getting slightly better now at 3 months home. i am a mess...the house is a mess. NOTHiNG ever gets done!

just know that you are not alone!!

i agree that it is hard to come home when the kids are out of school and you have to jungle the older ones with the schedule as well. i think i could have gotten my act together quicker if it was during the school year!